Become A Volunteer
If you are interested in becoming a volunteer with Pets on Wheels of Scottsdale, it is recommended that you review the following papers on our website: http://www.petsonwheelsscottsdale.com/
All dogs (or other pets) must:
- Be at least (1) year of age
- Spayed or Neutered
- Have a current State or County Pet License
- Have an up-to-date – Vaccination Record
- Have an up-to-date – Pet Health Exam & Health Certificate – signed by a Veterinarian
(Pet Health Exams must be renewed annually; reminders are sent out)
- Pets should be interested in interacting with people and friendly towards other dogs
Filling out On-Line Application Forms:
- Fill out – Volunteer Application … (All items)
- Print – Pet Health Certificate … (Fill In top half – have your Vet fill out bottom half )
2. After completing the Volunteer Application, the forms will be automatically sent to the Pets on Wheels of Scottsdale Office. We will then send you an Email Invitation to the next available Orientation Meeting.
Location of Orientation Meeting:
Via Linda Senior Center
10440 E. Via Linda
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
The monthly orientation meeting for potential volunteers and their dogs is conducted by the
President of Pets on Wheels of Scottsdale (or appointed volunteer). The topics to be covered include:
- Pet & Owner – Meet and Greet
- Pets on Wheels Program Overview
- Application Forms Review
- Submit Background Clearance Form and Application Fee
The one-time application fee of $75.00 covers costs for:
- A background Clearance
- A logo bandanna
- A safety lead/leash
- ID badge and logo tee shirt
Payment is due once you decide to become a volunteer. Payment can be made by check, cash or online.
With all documents in order, an evaluation of your dog and orientation of a designated care center will be scheduled with a trained evaluator.
Major issues which indicate your pet may not be ready to participate in our program at this time:
- Pulling on the lead
- Persistently sniffing the floor
- Aggression or uncontrolled barking
- Shyness or disinterest
Any of these issues may lead to a failed evaluation.
Upon passing the evaluation, Pets on Wheels of Scottsdale will issue a:
“Volunteer Pet Team Approved for Visits” Certification – for the Health Care Centers we serve.
Pets on Wheels of Scottsdale is also listed on the AKC Therapy Dog Program for approved sources.
Our program includes liability insurance while on site, quarterly meetings, quarterly newsletters, fund raising public events and an awards program.
For additional information, interested volunteers should contact our office at: 480-312-1741